Club Aims and Background
Errwood Sailing Club was founded in November 1968 shortly after the construction of the reservoir with the aims of:
- To facilitate the sport of sailing and promote community participation in this sport.
- To provide facilities to approved groups of youth and other organisations for sailing or other water based activities.
- To carry out sailing and power boat training under the RYA training scheme
- To carry out racing under the rules and provisions of the ISAF, RYA and the class rules applicable
- To provide facilities within the Goyt Valley to benefit the local and wider community
The clubhouse boasts changing rooms, showers, galley and a 'dry area' from where spectators may view the sailing in comfort. Hot drinks and snacks are available throughout the season.
There is a large dinghy park and extensive car parking facilities. No other water sport club has access to the reservoir, other than Peak Paddlers and Errwood Fly Fishing Club, with whom we maintain a cordial relationship. Swimming and paddling are not permitted for safety reasons.
Provided that the safety boat is manned and ready to operate, sailing may take place at any time except when specific events such as open meetings are taking place. A calendar of these events is published at the start of each season. Saturdays are popular for recreational family sailing, when a safety service is usualy ran by the Sea Cadets from 9am-1pm, and safety is usualy offered by club members in the afternoon and on Sundays.
Subject to availability there are a number of club craft for members to use. At present these include Enterprise, GP14, Lasers, Laser Pico, Optimists and Toppers.
Most classes of dinghy may be sailed at Errwood. Boats currently sailed include:
|Laser||Laser 2||Laser 2000|
Windsurfers, Kayaks and rowing boats are also used.
Powered craft other than the club's safety, instruction and training boats are not permitted on the water.
All boats sailed at Errwood must be insured for third part liability to a minimum value of £2,000,000. links to dinghy insurance companies can be found on the Linkspage.
We pride ourselves on being a friendly club and encourage family membership. We organise a variety of social events throughout the year.